Meet Our Therapists:
Stephanie Quinby, E-RYT 200/CMT
Stephanie Quinby, owner of RVA Massage and Wellness, LLC, is a Certified Massage Therapist through the Virginia Board of Nursing. She also serves as a Gubernatorial appointee and Vice Chairperson for the Advisory Board on Massage Therapy for the State of Virginia and as the Chairperson of the Fundraising Committee for Project Yoga Richmond. She maintains her Professional Membership with the American Massage Therapy Association and as an Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (over 1,000 teaching hours) certified with Yoga Alliance.
Stephanie uses a variety of techniques to help reduce stress, promote pain reduction and injury prevention. She practices with a holistic and client-focused approach placing value on open communication between therapist and client. She is dependable, professional and offers the highest quality services. She has been practicing Massage and Bodywork since 2008 and teaching yoga since 2007. Her specialties include Therapeutic Massage, Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue and Sports Massage.
- "This was the best massage experience I've ever had in Richmond and one of the best massages I've ever received. I love the vibe at RVA M/W and found Stephanie to be knowledgeable, kind, and truly gifted at what she does. Thanks so much!"
- I am loathe to tell others about Stephanie's skill as it may make it more difficult for me to schedule an appointment, but nonetheless, she is at the very pinnacle of massage therapists that I have experienced (and that's quite a few). She targeted my trouble spot (IT band) and by the time I left, I was virtually pain-free. Excellent technique, pressure and very knowledgeable, I was so impressed that I have purchased a package for the new year!
- “As a former NCAA athlete and retired Marine, I have over-used many of my joints. Massage therapy has been a part of my routine for health management for quite some time as a consequence and Stephanie is absolutely the best at her profession I have met, anywhere (and that includes Japan and China!). I particularly appreciate the attention she pays to stretching and toning the supporting musculature around my knees. I absolutely recommend her services- she is the best!” ~J.M.
- “Stephanie Quinby is just amazing! Last year when I had a rotator cuff injury and was healing very slowly with physical therapy, her massage treatments speeded up recovery greatly. With her help, I was able to gain mobility in that joint, and much of the pain was eased. Now that my injury had healed, regular massage helps alleviate soreness caused by stress and too many hours at the computer. Stephanie has a knack for finding the areas in which I hold tension and working that tension out. I would highly recommend Stephanie to anyone considering massage. She is a skilled and caring health care professional. ” ~K.D.
- “I have been receiving massages from Stephanie for the past 2 years for low back pain and related issues. She is an intuitive and compassionate massage therapist who individualizes each therapeutic massage as to what my body needs. Her knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the human body paired with her organic ability to intuitively sense the underlying status of the musculature makes each massage she gives a refuge from pain and physical suffering. I would highly recommend Stephanie to anyone wanting to heal their body from injury or who just want to find relief from the effects of stress. You’re in great hands!” ~T.B. – Happy client
Stephanie moved to Richmond from Northern Virginia in June of 2015. In Northern Virginia Stephanie’s work experience included working as a Massage Therapist as well as teaching Massage Therapy. She graduated from the National Massage Therapy Institute in 2008. Her massage background is in clinical therapeutic massage. She has experience working in integrated health facilities and communicating with other health professionals to ensure her clients achieve their health and wellness goals. Stephanie believes in working with clients not on clients through education, assessment, communication and a strong set of massage techniques. Stephanie specializes in sports specific massage, rehabilitative massages, and massage for chronic pain. She believes that wellness is a lifestyle and can be nurtured early on and also practices Prenatal and Infant Massage.
Stephanie is available for massage on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. When she is not working she is discovering Richmond and running after her little boy.
- "I have been a massage client for over two years. I initially met Stephanie for sports related injuries to IT band, hips, and calves. After trying several massage therapists, I selected Stephanie because she customized each massage session to my specific, and changing needs....... What's unique about Stephanie is her passion for developing the optimal course of treatment for each client. She carefully plans each massage session and develops a therapeutic program over a multi-week period while remaining flexible to accommodate input from Doctors, Physical Therapists, and trainers. " --D.L.
- "Within five minutes of our first session together, Stephanie was able to pin point the exact causes of my various muscle tensions, overuse, and compensation problems. She methodically went about, not only finding and easing my many pain points, but also explaining why they existed in the first place. Having first detailed everything, she then took it one step further by describing how I could go about preventing the problems in the future. I felt so good after those first 60 minutes that I immediately arranged to see Stephanie every week for almost a year. Stephanie is hands down the best massage therapist I have ever had the pleasure of working with. " --A.N.
- "I have had a chronic problem over the years of waking up with an extremely painful and tight shoulder muscle. Stephanie was not only able to get rid of it, but with occasional work, keep it away. Even more impressive, she could tell I play guitar just based on how my muscles were pulling themselves! I felt instant relief after our session, and slept better than I had in months!" --M.D.
Emily Akers, CMT
Emily Akers is a graduate of the American Institute of Massage and is a certified massage therapist through the Virginia Board of Nursing.
She believes that stress relief is essential in today’s hectic world, and she seeks to improve her clients’ well-being through relaxation massage in a positive, caring environment. In addition to being a massage therapist, Emily is a reflexology apprentice and is working toward her certification through the Baltimore School of Reflexology.
- Emily was awesome! One of the best massages I've had.
- “Emily gives the most soothing massage I have ever had, while still working out all the kinks that come with daily stress and a lot of exercise. She creates a quiet, calm atmosphere that always creates the getaway I am looking for. Emily is always very responsive to feedback and suggestions and always remembers from one massage to another what we have changed. She is professional, always pleasant, and clearly loves what she is doing. I highly recommend Emily for any massage needs.” --T.T.
- “Emily is conscientious and has the perfect natural touch which is not too hard and not too easy. I can't say enough about her pleasant warm personality as well. She seems to give 100% every time and it really translates into a healing massage. I've stopped looking for other people after I found Emily!” --M.T.
- “I have known Emily for quite a while, and I'm so impressed with her compassion, technique, and the enthusiasm that she brings to the massage table. She truly has a remarkable gift, and her healing touch has made a huge difference in my life. As a massage therapist myself, I know the importance of having your therapist listen to your concerns and address them accordingly, which Emily always does. I have heard wonderful accolades from some of her other clients and know that she has improved their quality of life. Can't wait for my next session with Emily.” --W.A.
Anna Marie Heaton, CMT
Anna Marie graduated from Brian Utting School of Massage in Seattle, WA and has been practicing since 2008. She offers intuitive, client-centered, therapeutic massage, and believes in the body's innate ability to heal itself. She is certified through the Virginia Board of Nursing and her modalities include Swedish, Deep Tissue, Neuromuscular Technique, Sports massage, and injury assessment and treatment.
Anna Marie is also an RVA transplant by way of Seattle, a mother to a very active baby boy, a yoga enthusiast, and a newbie runner (she'll be running her first Monument Avenue 10k this spring and then off to half marathon training!). She is available for massage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and occasional Saturdays (see online schedule).
- "I had a great massage with Anna Marie. She spent a lot of time understanding what issues I needed help resolving, and then not only addressed them in the massage, but gave me tips on stretches and things I can do on my own to help. She took creative approaches and really made me feel at ease, even though I hadn't had a massage in years. I will definitely be returning, and I recommend her highly!"
- "I LOVE Anna Marie! ! I was so sad when she moved from Seattle, because she has a real sensitivity to her clients' needs, and my body misses her very much. I am a yoga teacher, so was able to describe what I thought to be my issues, but Anna always gently but directly went to the source of the concern. Anna has an intuitive sense, and combined with her experience, that sense always guided her as she brought my body back into balance. She is very strong, and is a master at tempering that strength to suit each area of the body. Anna is an extraordinary masseuse and if you are lucky enough to get a massage from her, you will also be a life-long fan!" --S.C.
- "Shortly before a week-long surf trip, I strained several muscles in my shoulder, back, and side. I thought I would have to cancel the trip, or sit on the shore the whole time. Then I met Anna, and she fixed it all in one massage session. She listened carefully to my description of what ailed me, found her way around and into the problem areas with care, precision, and intuition, and virtually banished any strain from those muscles. My anxiety about the trip dissipated as the relaxation soaked in. I went on the trip, took good care of myself, and surfed nearly every day. I have since seen Anna Marie numerous times and she has always show the same ability to get to the root of the problem and fix what was ailing me. Thank you, Anna!" --J.W.
- "Anna Marie is an amazing massage therapist. She is so thoughtful and attentive so after each massage I always feel that I got exactly what I wanted and what my body needed." --E. F.
Michael Rekas, CMT graduated from the Potomac Massage Training Institute in Washington, DC. Since 2012, he has been a Certified Massage Therapist through the Virginia Board of Nursing, a Professional Member of the American Massage Therapy Association, and an Independent Distributor with Young Living Essential Oils. Michael originates from Northern Virginia and has been in Richmond since December, 2014.
Michael’s specialties include an intuitive blend of Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Stretching, and Aromatherapy tailored to support the joints of the body, support respiratory and digestive health, and increase relaxation and stress relief. Whether you are looking to bliss out for an hour, take your wellness routine to the next level, or need specific muscles and/or muscle groups tuned-up, Michael can help get you back on track and feeling better fast.
- "Michael delivered a great massage, finding all of my problem areas. I felt well taken care of during my session and left feeling super relaxed. My shoulders felt better than they have in a long time, and I'll definitely be back soon!" - M.B.
- "I was extremely stressed out and had just pulled a muscle in my leg. Michael was very professional, he was easy to talk to, and I felt completely at ease. The massage was perfect and he encouraged me to tell him if I needed more or less pressure. When I left I was walking in the clouds (without a trace of a limp!). I have to add that I was noticeably less stressed for the rest of the week." - J.C.
- "Michael was very attentive and took time to find out what type of massage I was looking for, any special needs I had, checked in with the level of pressure, and had really nice technique." - B.O.
- "What an amazing end to a stressful week! Who knew what wonders a 60 minute "escape" could provide. Michael and I discussed my health history and what I was looking to accomplish with massage. He was very professional and made me feel right at home. Let me just say the massage was wonderful! I left feeling like a brand new woman and can't wait to go back." - N.C.
Jennifer Harlow, CMT graduated from Richmond Academy of Massage in Richmond, VA. She has been certified through the Virginia Board of Nursing since 2009 and holds a Level III Reiki Master's Certificate. In 2013, she received intensive training and certification in Traditional Thai Bodywork in the Shivagokomarpa/Nit Lineage. Utilizing her palms, thumbs, elbows and feet to compress and elongate muscles, stimulate acupressure points and gently stretch the body, allowing it to relax, open and decompress.
Jennifer offers intuitive bodywork centered around each client's need for pain relief, relaxation and injury recovery. She specializes in Swedish and Deep Tissue Massage, Neuromuscular Techniques, Reiki and Thai Yoga Massage.
- "As a dancer, I ask a great deal of my body, and I have been to many different massage therapists over the last few years. While many of these therapists might be fine for someone who is just looking to reach a more temporarily relaxed state, I go in order to actually correct issues – muscular, alignment, etc. – that are affecting my activity level. Jenn brings more in-depth knowledge of how the body works and which types of massage are best suited to treatment than any therapist I have met. She is able to identify problem areas and then works in a very gentle and focused way to treat the area. I am very thankful to have discovered Jenn; she was able to help me reduce the number of migraines I experience, and she also helped with the elimination of my neck and shoulder pain. I highly recommend Jenn; she is an amazing massage therapist! --S.H.
- "I went to Jennifer when I injured my hamstring. Jennifer worked the injury from excruciating pain to a dull ache in one session. I felt reassured of her professional advice. I felt cared for by a kind, gentle person. I highly recommend Jennifer" --N.E.
- "I came to see Jennifer for soreness and pain in my shoulders, arms and neck after several surgeries. Our sessions have helped me regain more range of motion and less pain in all of those areas. Jennifer takes the time to listen to me about what is going on with my body." --B.W.